Tuesday, February 21, 2012

You mean I can eat that?

Kudzu! The bane of many a southerners gardens and yards. Did you know that the majority of the plant is edible? 


I think that is pretty darn fascinating!!! The roots can be dug and eaten like potatoes (just discard the skin) the leaves can be used like grape leaves or cooked like greens (Best when young and tender). But, probably the the best part is the flowers! 


Didn't know kudzu had flowers? Me either. Until my friend from Minnesota asked me if I had ever heard of kudzu jelly.  Nope. Sure hadn't.  Which meant I had to google it right then. (What, curiosity get the best of moi?) I pictured kudzu jelly as a green jelly, but it is actually a lovely purple color.  
The flavor is reminiscent of grapes with just  a hint of blueberry.  Now that I had seen pictures of it I had to find it myself. Luckily, when this came up it was July, and the best time to pick kudzu blossoms is August and September so I had time :)


If you are familiar with kudzu you are probably thinking, "I have seen that every summer and never seen a flower"!  Neither had I. But now that you know they are there, start looking for them. Next thing you know every big pile of kudzu will have purple spots all over it (In August and September)! Just don't wreck if you are driving past a big pile, because the police officer won't care if you needed to see a kudzu flower or not.....


When making anything from kudzu the most important step is to make sure that the kudzu you pick is not off a road way where it has been sprayed with chemicals. Almost all kudzu off the sides of the roads has been sprayed, so find some in the woods, or in a field that is well away from any road. 
I found mine if a grassy area next door to a church. (They probably thought that the chick playing with the kudzu was crazy, but, whatever).

Why hello Mr. Stick bug
A lot of times the blossoms are kind of underneath the leaves (I assume is the reason we don't notice them until we are looking for them).  I gathered a bag full. The recipe I used called for 4 cups of blossoms.  I had plenty left over that could be dried for tea!




Make sure you soak these really well and sort them really well to make sure they are pest free. (Watch your fingers when picking them, spiders and ants like to hide in there).


The recipe
It is a simple canning project, however if you are new to canning please review the USDA's guidelines on safe food preservation first here.


4 cups kudzu blossoms (well washed and chemical free)
4 cups boiling water
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 package or 1 3/4 ounce pectin
5 cups sugar


Directions

  • Place washed and drained kudzu blossoms in a large bowl. Pour boiling water over them and allow to steep in the refrigerator over night (or 8 hours). 
  • Strain liquid through a colander into a heavy bottomed pan, discarding blossoms 
  • Add in lemon juice (liquid will be a grey-ish color until lemon juice is added) and pectin, bring to a rolling boil, stirring constantly 
  • Add the sugar, return to a rolling boil while stirring constantly. Boil  for 1 minute. 
  • Remove from heat, skimming off any foam.
  • Quickly pour into sterilized canning jars, leaving 1/4 inch room at the top for head space (air space)
  • Wipe the rims with a clean cloth and apply lids and metal rings, tight but not too tight
  • Process in a hot water bath for 5 minutes. 
  • Allow to cool 
There it is! Kudzu Jelly! 



Easy, and the main ingredient is free!


I did have a friend who pointed out if you have never eaten or been exposed to kudzu that you may want to have your first taste with someone else in case there is an allergic reaction. Wouldn't hurt, but none of my food allergy prone friends or family are allergic to it so..... Use your discretion. 


If you are particularly crafty you can use the vines to make baskets :) I have not gotten that far but one day maybe!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a comment? I'd love to hear it!