Sunday, February 12, 2012

Hopes for Hops

I made beer this weekend!!!

Well, I started to make it anyway. This is not my first experience with fermenting to create an alcoholic beverage, however I am still a complete novice.

I received a Mr Beer kit for Christmas from my parents. It was a bit of a gag gift, and yet they knew I would get a kick out of it! And I have been!


I finally had the time to give it a go yesterday.

It was great fun! Although not the natural approach that I am learning from John Seymour's book The Self Sufficient life and how to live it , but its a great introduction. I think this is a good way to become familiar with the processes of making the beer before moving on to more advanced, natural ways.

This came with the Mr Beer kit


First everything has to be sanitized, so no unexpected spoiling occurs. Next, you mix the "Booster" with water and bring it to a boil.



The "Booster" that came in the kit is really just sugar. The more sugar you have the higher alcohol content in the brew. They included recipe variations that included using honey or molasses instead. Since this is my first attempt, easy and basic is the way I went. I will experiment more next time. 

Remove it from heat and stir in the hopped malt extract. This is something you can grow and create for yourself. However since I used a kit, mine came from a can. 


There is enough sugar in the HME to give you an alcohol content of about 3.7% alcohol by volume with out the booster. With the booster it makes it about 5.8% abv which is about the standard for most american beers. 

Pour the Malt and sugar mix into the handy dandy keg ferment-er they provide with the kit...


Mix with more water and then sprinkle the yeast they provided on top. Let it sit there for 5 minutes before mixing it in.

Stick it somewhere out of direct sunlight and with a consistent temperature between 68-76 F for a week (or two).


Which for me means a top cabinet in my kitchen (the kind that is hard to reach and there for expendable).

In two or so weeks I will check on it, and if all has gone well I will "rack" it into bottles, add a small amount of sugar and let it ferment a second time for a week or two. The second fermentation is what creates the carbonation in the brew.

Pretty neat, huh?

I have previously made a extremely basic version of hard cider.

Have you seen the movie Fantastic Mr Fox? It is one of my dads favorite movies. I happen to enjoy it as well and thought he would get a kick out of having some home made hard apple cider to sip on while watching it (if you have seen the movie you'll get that).

The recipe I followed can be found here .

I realize most real brew enthusiasts will cringe when they read the recipe, but I think it turned out pretty great. The best part was it was not intimidating, which made it a good way to get started.

Ingredients:
Apple cider in the glass jar
Sugar (white and brown, preferably)
A balloon
Yeast (not brewers, just regular old yeast)

Basically you just pour a bit of the cider into a pan, pour in the sugar and mix until melted. Return the cider and sugar syrup to the jar with the rest of the cider, Then mix in the yeast. Poke a tiny hole in the balloon with a pin. This hole will be small enough to let out gas created by the yeast, but too small for bad bacteria to get in.  Let it ferment for 2 weeks, rack it, and then let it sit 2 more weeks. Its ready to drink but gets better with age :)

I'll make another batch soon and document it here for you!

Hopefully someday soon I will make some pear cider with the pears off my pear trees, and can give it a try with pear cider! Yumm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a comment? I'd love to hear it!