Monday, February 13, 2012

What I'm thinking about


How many of you consume dairy? 

I am a vegetarian, however I consume milk products and eggs (also known as an ovo-lacto vegetarian).
 My Dad has become a vegan recently and said he already feels better.  

Now, don't get me wrong. I do not come from a vegetarian family. Most of the family are meat and potato people. My husband is a meat eater as well (favoring fish the most).  

My Dad did experiment with vegetarian eating as a teenager, but stopped when he moved in with some family. It was too much of a burden on them at the time.  Now, for health reasons, he has become a vegan. My Mom is not completely on board. She said anything that keeps you from eating ice cream is NOT for her.....  However she is happy to accommodate my Dad. She is used to it. After all, I stopped eating meat at age 12. So she has already been through this once.

My husband and I decided this morning to cut back on our cheese consumption (I love cheese, and apparently eat way too much). Has anyone else done this? Did you have positive results? Any results at all?

For the most part HH and I are pretty well informed about nutrition. I took many nutrition classes when I was a teenager and he when he was a personal trainer.  However this decision prompted a little debate between us. 

We both agree that milk was designed to add nutrients and calories to the body. It was designed to add body weight to young so they could develop healthily. 

He said specifically cows milk-
I said all mammals milk-

The argument is that cows milk is higher calorie to feed larger animals. I think it is similar in calories, its the quantity that changes. 

Any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a comment? I'd love to hear it!