Monday, February 20, 2012

New beginnings!

Getting ready for the Spring!

HH came home Saturday from work and was upset that I dug up 3 2x5 spots in his beloved grass. When I explained that the vegetables that will be grown int he additional space will feed us, and the grass simply takes, he declared "We are married and have to talk about these decisions first!!!"

Hehe... after he had time to cool down he realized we have a huge yard (almost 2 acres) and MOST of it is grass. Also the corner of the yard he had so graciously granted me to put the extra garden happens to be in shade most of the day.

The book stated to make permanent walk ways so you never step on the garden and compact the soil.
Also to lay something over the walk way to help prevent compaction form the sides. I will cover these with hay soon. 


Oh silly husbands! He is the one, after all, who gave me a gardening book as a valentine (I was thrilled to see how well he knows me :). And it was this book that inspired me to expand!!!

I am working on the deep bed method. They still need to be built up some, but its a start!




I also will be starting school back in the Summer! I know I have mentioned on here that I am wholly unsatisfied with my current career.  HH pointed out that it will be a while before we can afford to live off the land (I have to be able to buy the land first, and the acreage I want will not come too cheap).  With paychecks in my line of work being so irregular, and his not reliable, it is time for one of us to make a change.

I would like to say I am excited about this venture, but, eh.... so so.
It will be 2 years before I am eligible to get  a job in the new field. I know that is not a very long time, but it feels like an eternity!

I really just want to work on the land and sell  things I make and some produce. I figure the money I save us will make up for the loss of income. That is a bit of a dream at this point, but we all have to have dreams, right?

HH sees that as me being a stay at home. We always said who ever was making the most money when we had kids, the other one would stay at home (Yes, I would be fine with a stay at home husband).
Well, we are planning on (hopefully) starting our family soon and suddenly that has changed... Hmm... baby jitters? For the baby that's still just a twinkle in our eyes? Silly husband...

I will admit that since I have always worked, the idea of not working scares the pee-waddlen out of me!!! To be so reliant on another. It is hard to relinquish that control. To this day I still bartend one night a week because of the irregular nature of my paychecks, I like the added security of having a job where I can bring home cash in pocket at anytime.

Did any of you make the transition from 2 incomes to one? How did that work for you? Emotionally and financially?








No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a comment? I'd love to hear it!