Saturday, February 18, 2012

Snack- To Buy or make?

I wanted a snack yesterday. I didn't really have anything munch-able on hand so I though I would make something. What do I have?

 Some flour, a can of chickpeas, oil, some garlic and a bottle of lemon juice. Most of these are staples I always have on hand. 

What can I make? Hummus!!! I love hummus. (with pita of course)

Why not just run to the store and grab it? It would take all of 30 mins to drive to the store, get in and out and back home.

Well in 30 minutes I can make it (yes even the pita) and it will be healthier, much tastier and MUCH less expensive.



The pita:
Flour-2.5 c
Water-1 c warm
yeast-1 T
oil -2 T
Salt-1.5 t
Sugar-1 T

Mix 1 c flour, salt sugar and yeast together in a  mixing bowl. Add oil and water, mix well. Add the rest of the flour, mix well. Separate into 8 balls and leave on floured surface 20 mins or so to soften.

Pre-heat oven to 500 F with pan inside.

~Meanwhile~
Drain can of chickpeas, add to food processor. Then add a dash of salt, one or two garlic cloves, a dash of lemon juice, and a tablespoon of oil. Blend well (adjust seasoning to taste, I like extra garlic and lemon)



If you have stonewear pan, stick it in the oven while it is preheating. If not use a cast iron skillet turned up side down.

Flatten dough balls to just under finger thickness. Put on heated pan in oven for 5ish minutes.

Tada!

Price difference? Well, hummus at the store would run you about 3.99, with pita at 1.50ish.

Mine was less then a dollar for everything! 4.49 in savings? Yes please!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a comment? I'd love to hear it!