Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Miles to go


Homemade croutons from home made bread. Yummmm....


Today I spent a large part of the day with a friend. We both had some off time and thought we would watch some movies from our childhood. We did not grow up together, but we are the same age and some of those are universal for girls our age.

She hosted at her house for the first time.

I could tell she put a lot of effort into it. She had laid out a cute spread of food for us, made dip and had veggies out. Then she told me later she had lasagna cooking and salad and bread.

It was really good! Even though she had a hard time reconciling that she had made vegetarian lasagna so I could eat it. I believe that was the first time for her, and she does not like to step out of her comfort zone.

Then after the movies we walk into the kitchen so I can help her clean up and I see her throw away over a whole loaf of garlic bread. That was fresh. And tasty....

I was a bit shocked. I guess I have become so used to the way my husband and I are trying to live that to see such blatant and needless waste in a home was stunning.

I have no interest in forcing my ideas of a great life on anyone else (to each his own, just don't mess with mine if you want to keep that hand ;)

but that still shocked me!



Bread I made, next to jar I saved. If I see anyone throw this away before it is moldy, there will be trouble!


My friends are not wealthy, but neither are they hurting for money. Both work, they are young, childless and in school.

But still... I mean, that was almost a whole loaf of perfectly good bread!

I had to stop myself from saying something. I left before I saw what she did with a pan of lasagna with only two pieces out.

Have I become so out of touch with what people around me are doing?  Is that really how people live?


Containers I have saved, and find no end of uses for. The white ones even have scoops that are perfect for home made laundry detergent!   



It makes me want to double up my efforts to live simply.

However, it makes me want to do it while looking stylish.

Not that I am suddenly going to run out and spend money on clothes that I do not need, but more that I can show people the value and enjoyment in living simply. That even though one of my goals is to live below our means and save money, that you can live this way and really enjoy life too.

I am still learning to live simply, I know I have miles to go. It is a trek worth the time and effort.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a comment? I'd love to hear it!