Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Lip Balm and weird goo

I was researching lip gloss recipes online for my day today.

My sister in law came over to make stuff. I am packed pretty full of soap right now, so I suggested we do the chap stick I have been wanting to make, and the lip gloss she has been wanting. I asked her if she had a recipe in mind and she said "No.". So I figured it was my job to supply one ( I don't mind the responsibility).

So in my research  I realized that there are very few gloss recipes that do not involve petroleum jelly. I wanted to make a natural lip gloss, so that would not do at all.

I found one that involved aloe, olive oil and coconut oil. Perfect. In the directions it said if I did not have aloe gel, but did have a plant just to pop one of those babies open and scrape out the gel. So I did.

Have you ever done that? I didn't take a picture, but it looked like snot. And felt like snot. Smelled kinda weird too.  


My poor aloe plant....

We made the gloss and it did not want to come together very well. I believe the person who came up with this recipe never actually used raw aloe before.

I chunked it. It did not turn out like something I was willing to slather on my lips every day.

I altered the recipe and made a version with 1/4 teaspoon beeswax, 1Tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon shea butter, and 4 drops orange oil.

I like it. It is shiny and smells good. Not snotty at all :)



The chap stick recipe came from a blog I love.

It is:
1 1/2 tsp beeswax
1 7/8 tsp coconut oil
1 1/8 tsp coco butter (I used shea butter because that's what I had, and I was too cheap lazy to go get anything else)
3 tsp olive oil
3 vitamin E capsules (Optional)

5 Empty chap stick tubes. (She swore it filled 7, but I only got 5 out of the recipe)

Mix everything together in a heat safe, pour-able container (I used my measuring cup) except the vitamin E (I made a batch with orange oil, if using any essential oils leave these out too)

Microwave for short (15 second-ish) intervals until all have melted together. Then mix in the vitamin E and essential oil (Both of these are optional) and pour into the containers.

That's it!

Rocks, doesn't it?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a comment? I'd love to hear it!