Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Attack of the blobs!!!

I was trying to puzzle out what was eating all my plants. They look like the rabbitts have been munching on them, however they also have small holes in the middle of the leaves.

Then I saw the perpetrator..... SLUGS






I have never had a slug problem before in my garden. But I think that was because I had never had an organic garden before.

SO I promptly started searching out the slugs and pinching them off. At first I was just throwing them away from the garden, then I realized, they will just slide on back.  So I started squishing them. Yes, yuck, but by then I was so angry at all the damage they had done, that I did not mind.

It grossed out HH when I told him what I was up to squatting by the garden so intensely.

Turning over the leaves on each plant revealed more damage then I had ever suspected! There were munching marks on all of them. I'll be surprised if half of my plants recover from this. (Ugg!!! SO much work for not)




Sure these are just the cotyledons (fancy word for the first leaves :), but there is lots of damage on all the other leaves too. Stupid slugs....

In John Seymour's book The Simple Life and How To Live It he mentions that slugs like beer, so you are supposed to bury a saucer of beer right at ground level, and the slugs come to it then drown themselves. 

I am off to get the slugs drunk right now. Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a comment? I'd love to hear it!