Sunday, March 11, 2012

Scratch that... and this too



Do you make things from scratch?

I have already stated here how I prefer too. I remembered this morning however, that that was not always the case.

I had a conversation with a friend of mine this morning after a meeting, where she mentioned she had to stop by the store on the way home to pick up pancake mix so they could have pancakes for Sunday breakfast. I said she should just make them from scratch so she did not have to stop.

She looked at me like I was crazy. (Maybe I am... Bwhahaahaa.....)

I forget that I used to buy mixes as well. Most of the people I know are not on the natural living, whole food bandwagon with me. Most are still your average convenience driven American. I have not rubbed off on them enough yet, but I am working on that (Though I have never been one to push my ideals onto others. I find that very irritating. I think its best to lead by example).

Cinnamon swirl cake (I failed on the swirl, but it still tastes good!)


Cooking from scratch is healthier, cheaper, and more delicious. But can be intimidating, if you are not used to it.  My idea of scratch cooking when I first started was the bagged instant pasta, a canned veggie and some frozen flavored fish filet for the Hubs. Now I can whip up a batch of biscuits as quick as I could grab the bag of frozen ones I bought and cook them. Also I'll make a double batch and freeze my own for those times I am short on time.

A Mexican slaw I made last minute for taco Friday


I make an effort not to buy anything that I can make on my own anymore. This includes things like crackers, bread, tortillas, cakes and cookies. They are all much cheaper home made and do not contain any mystery ingredients (maybe more butter then I need, but at least I know what is in there! : )

What things are you making from scratch?

Apricot, cashew, banana bars (sorry they look a little funny pictured through the container)

And now for some Weekend niceness......

Why yes, this is just too sweet


Happy Sunday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a comment? I'd love to hear it!