Monday, March 5, 2012

Lotion Bar

Seems like I am posting a lot of lotions lately, huh?



I started making this lotion bar last year. It was my first home made beauty product. I think I started with this because the ingredients are easily accessible just about anywhere.



Make the lotion bar med-small sized. They last a really long time and make great gifts! I use silicon ice cube trays in fun shapes. I bought them at the dollar store, its hard to beat that price! You can add an essential oil to them to make a scented variety.  I am making orange scented stars and summer shapes this time.  My sister in law made Christmas shapes and scented them to smell like cookies and gave them to her daughters teachers for Christmas presents.

To use the bars just rub them between your hands, the heat from your hands melts just the perfect amount onto your hands, then rub it in. It is wonderfully moisturizing and fits into your purse! Just make sure to wrap it or store it in a small tin container, because it will melt if left in heat.  I keep it next to my sink to use after washing dishes.

I have been dreaming lately of making these products and selling them as my business. *Ahh...*

Anyways, enough dreaming!!!!

Lotion Bar:

1 part beeswax
1 part coconut oil
1 part shea butter


I use the "parts" measurements because I want you to make a small batch first to decided if you like it firmer or softer. If you want it firmer, add a little more beeswax, if softer, a little more coconut oil. In hotter climates (Like here in the southern states) I would recommend firmer, so it will not accidentally melt on you as easily.

Put all ingredients into a microwavable container and heat until just melted. Or you can use a double boiler if you like.  Stir in essential oil at this time and pour into molds. You can use molds or just  a parchment paper lined pan and cut out squares.

Let cool until solid. if you are impatient like me stick it in the fridge to cool quicker :)

Once you are melted this much, usually carry over heat will  do the rest. No need to heat it too much.

They start to solidify pretty quickly

These are going to a friend of mine :)

That's it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a comment? I'd love to hear it!