Saturday, March 3, 2012

The evil trees are gone...

When we moved into our house we discovered lots of beautiful plants the the previous owner had planted. It was pretty cool. Everything had become extremely overgrown during the time it took to handle her estate. By the time we moved in there were surprises every day!

We had some awesome plants pop up like our hibiscus


And our fruit trees....



But there were two trees that we could not figure out what they were. They had giant thorns all over them. 

My experience with thorny plants led me to believe that it could be a really cool plant( roses, berry bushes, they all have thorns). After all, the old lady wouldn't have planted them if they did not have a cool or productive purpose, right?

I convinced my husband that we needed to leave them and see what they produced. Be it pretty flowers or maybe some sort of berry, I would have been ecstatic. 

The first year all we got were some leaves. So for the last three years we have been mowing around them, trying not to get stabbed by the trees. I would have cut them down sooner, but we had a problem with our neighbor thinking our yard was his personal 4 wheeler track. So we decided thorns might help discourage him.....through the years they kept on making more and more thorns!

Finally our neighbor moved so we decided it was time to cut them down. Yay! (And the peasants rejoiced)







And so ends the evil trees (Bwhahaha...)

Anyone know what they are? I still have no clue. If they are something useful in some way I will probably kick myself, but until then I am glad they are gone!



 

2 comments:

  1. OMG...I don't know what those are, but I got one of those thorns in my foot when I was little. My grandmother always searched her farm for these nasty trees around easter. She would cut a large branch and used it for an Easter tree that she decorated and displayed in the kitchen. The thorns were very important to her because they symbolized the Crown of Thorns that Jesus wore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could see that! The branches could look like the crown of thorns. I am still glad they are gone though:)

    ReplyDelete

Got a comment? I'd love to hear it!