Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Natural ways to fight exhaustion

If you read this regularly, you may have noticed I have been away from this place for a while.

Its because I have been tired. I mean Ti-uh-herd.

I have been working more (Yes I know my goal  is for us to work less, you know, stick it to the man, off the grid, not-quite-a-hippy stuff ) But to obtain that goal in the fashion we desire we need to do a few things first.


1. Pay off debt


2. 3-6 month emergency fund 


3. Save for retirement

4. Invest

Sounds like a lot, eh? But I have done some very simple math and figured we can be debt free including the house if we just add a little extra income every week for two years. Freak-in-amazingly cool.

Yup.

So I picked up some extra shifts at my old job (bartending) and found out that they are very short handed. So instead of a few extra shifts, I was given about 60 hours worth of shifts for last week alone. Oh goodness.. Was I tired.  Then I had already had long standing plans with my family (both sides) for Saturday, so no rest then. Then I had to work again on Sunday at my regular job, so again, not much rest. Then back to an extra bartending shift yesterday. I am bartending again tonight. Luckily I  have tomorrow off to focus on my regular job. Then back to juggling both.

So I realized I need some natural ways to fight exhaustion. My cup-o-joe in the morning is not cutting it.

I do not drink those energy drinks anymore. They are terrible for you. Especially if you consume them every day.

Here is my list of ways to combat exhaustion:

1. Make time to eat-(Small frequent meals) I know when I work on my feet all day it is easy to loose track of time and not eat like I should. I am busy busy busy when I bartend and often wont eat for 8-18 hours at a time(Not healthy). Nor do I drink enough water. When I finally get off work I either have lost my appetite and just want to sleep, or I eat a huge and generally unhealthy meal, which causes me to need  to be rolled into bed because of the lump in my belly.



If you can make sure to keep water handy and take small sips through out the day, and keep some easy, nutrient rich snack foods around to munch on you will fair much better. Keep a water bottle filled and some nuts and dried fruit around. Bam.... instant and lasting energy. It actually keeps your metabolism going too, which encourages your body to burn fat for energy.  Try keeping homemade larabars around. Easy and energy rich (tasty too:)

2. Stretch- Take a minute, or even just 30 seconds to do some gentle stretches. Even if the only time you have to do it is in between the bathroom stall door and washing your hands. It will awaken your muscles, increase oxygen flow, and help you identify if you have been unconsciously standing at an odd angle, or with poor posture, or anything else that will make you sore at the end of the day.
These you can do sitting at a desk. 


3. Small amount of strategic caffeine- If you, like me, tend to turn to caffeine for your energy, then listen. There is no need to guzzle the stuff all day. Identify your lowest energy point in the day. Then plan on drinking a small cup of green (or other healthy, non sugared tea-or coffee if you must) about 30 minutes before that time. For me it is in the afternoon, around 3:30. About 4 or 4:30 it hits me. So plan ahead.   The hit of caffeine will help counteract that time of day your at your most tired. Don't guzzle the stuff all day though, or else it won't work. I make mine iced in the warm months and add a splash of lemon and cranberry. Refreshing and full of goodness.



4.Re-evaluate your vitamins- We tend to run low in iron in my family, being a vegetarian makes it doubly so for me, if I am not careful. Making sure you are getting the proper amount of b vitamins, iron, and vitamin C at rates your body can absorb will go a long way.  Sometimes you need to space out the vitamins. Your body can only absorb so many at a time, so if you need to take some in the morning and the again at night, do so. Just make sure you are taking the proper amount for your body and not over doing it either. This calculator is pretty neat, if you do not have any idea where to start, but of course consulting a doctor is always a good idea too.

5. Find something that excites you-This morning I reluctantly got out of bed. Then I found out about a small city fest in my area that I could possibly set a booth up at and try my hand at selling my soaps and lotions (something I have wanting to test out for ever). The booth charge is only 15$ and I made it just in time!!!! Yippee!!! Suddenly I have energy to spare!!!

Now I  realize that this is an extreme example, but it works in small ways too. Plan a special dinner with your spouse for the end of the week, or a cookout with friends, or flirt (a little)  with the cute guy at the store. Whatever gives you just a little extra oomph, or something to look forward to will help you gets past the exhaustion.

After all, its the little thing that really make life worth living :)

1 comment:

  1. This is not only a great plan for energy, it sounds like a great plan for my weighloss also! I only eat 1 HUGE meal a day and never drink enough water :/

    ReplyDelete

Got a comment? I'd love to hear it!